Building on more than four decades of experience, Thomas Safran & Associates Development has developed over 6,000 units of affordable and mixed-use rental housing in Southern California. TSA is proud to partner with leading organizations to change the future of our neighborhoods by providing quality housing for populations in need. Our success and ability to achieve this vision depends on developing and retaining a diverse team of professionals committed to influencing the communities we serve.
Projects in Pre-development Highlights:
TSA has over 1,000 units in pre-development, including master plans, in the Greater Los Angeles area. Some highlights include:
- West LA VA Master Plan Campus: As a partner of the West LA Veterans Collective, TSA has a joint venture to develop over 1,200 units of permanent supportive housing for homeless veterans on the West Los Angeles Veterans Administration Campus, a vibrant, cohesive, and supportive residential neighborhood for homeless and at-risk Veterans and their families on the North Campus of the West Los Angeles Veterans Affairs campus.
- Charles Drew Master Plan Campus: In partnership with Century Housing and Charles Drew University, TSA is developing 150 units of affordable and permanent supportive housing for individuals and families in partnership with an expansion of the Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, a private, nonprofit, community-founded, student-centered University committed to cultivating diverse health professions leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations through outstanding education, clinical service and community engagement.
- Beach Terrace (Inglewood): https://beachterracehousing.com/
- Hollywood Arts Collective (Hollywood): https://thehollywoodartscollective.com/
- Reseda Theater Senior Housing (Reseda): https://resedatheaterseniorhousing.com/
- Thatcher Yard (Marina del Rey): https://www.thatcheryard.com/
- VA Building 207 (West Los Angeles): https://vacampusbuilding207.com/
With a keen focus on excellent design and extensive landscaping, our developments aim to enrich the lives of the people who reside in our buildings and enhance the greater community. Thomas Safran & Associates prides itself on several LEED certified projects and promotes sustainable building strategies.
Our apartment communities typically have approximately 75 to 250 units and offer extensive amenities and services to our residents. Amenities include spacious community rooms, libraries, exercise facilities, computer labs, pools and spas, community gardens, basketball courts, playgrounds, and other high-quality amenities with design and architecture focused on fostering community.
Thomas Safran & Associates has received distinguished awards as the Golden Nugget Award for best mixed-use and affordable housing; Lt. Governor Commendation for outstanding service in the public interest; Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing Award, recognizing our Project of the Year; Urban Environmental Design Award for housing project design; Los Angeles Conservancy Preservation Award; and commendations from the California State Assembly and the State of California Senate.
Podcast Interview, Del Rey Square with Tom Safran
The Planning Report, Tom Safran on Why Affordable Housing is Difficult to Build in SoCal